THE COPPERBELT UNIVERSITY
OFFICE OF THE REGISTRAR
The Copperbelt University is a Public University established through an Act of Parliament No. 19 of 1987. The University’s core business is Teaching, Research and Innovation for National Development. The University as an equal opportunity employer and hereby invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced candidates for appointment to fill in the position of Chief Internal Auditor (Re-advertised).
JOB TITLE: CHIEF INTERNAL AUDITOR (01 Position)
To enable the University Council (through the Audit and Risk Committee) and the Vice Chancellor (CEO) to discharge their oversight role by monitoring and evaluating continuously the adequacy and effectiveness of the University’s network of risk management, control, and governance processes, as designed and presented by management to ensure compliance with the Public Finance Act No. 1 of 2018 and Higher Education Act No. 4 of 2013 as read with the Higher Education (Amendment) No. 23 of 2021
Provide independent, objective assurance and consulting activities designed to add value and improve the University’s operations, risk management, and controls.
Accountabilities and Main Duties
- Develops and implements short and long-term internal audit strategies and programmes aimed at providing an independent and objective opinion on controls, checks, and corporate governance through the Risk and Audit Committee.
- Prepares timely and accurate reports of audit findings and recommendations for management’s attention and ensures adequate follow-ups.
- Manages audit reviews and provides recommendations to line management.
- Reviews and records actions taken by management to correct audit findings.
- Measures and evaluates the effectiveness of controls, checks and governance measures in place by facilitating the achievement of the University's agreed objectives.
- Leads the assurance of the adequacy of the embedded controls in new and/or reviewed policies, procedures, processes and systems.
- Develops and executes internal audit plans, which are aligned with the University’s risk assessment.
- Provides an annual assessment of the University’s systems of internal control.
- Ensures financial management and other operating systems are accurate and reliable.
- Provides strategic leadership to the Audit Team.
- Maintains a current knowledge base of audit industry practices to ensure best practices.
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
Qualifications and experience required:
- Form V or Grade 12 Certificate with 5 “O” levels with Credit or better in English and Mathematics.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Auditing, Accounting or an equivalent qualification.
- A Master’s Degree in any of the above areas is a requirement, plus five (5) years of post-qualification experience in a similar setting.
- A relevant professional qualification will be a distinct advantage.
- Competence in University Information and Communication Systems (ICT) is essential.
- Must show proof of active professional membership.
Required Competencies and Behavioral Attributes:
- Proven working experience as Internal Auditor or Senior Internal Auditor.
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office, accounting software and databases.
- Ability to manipulate large amounts of data and compile detailed reports.
- Proven knowledge of auditing standards and procedures, laws, rules and regulations.
- High attention to detail and excellent analytical skills
Skills and Attributes
This is a senior position that requires a mature, hardworking, and reliable professional with all-around experience and sound knowledge and understanding of corporate governance and the audit and risk environment. The ability to operate at a strategic level, excellent interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to investigate and understand emerging trends, particularly in the Higher Education sector and to explore, evaluate and advise the University timeously is essential. Further, the successful applicant must be able to coordinate and assist external and regulatory Auditors; in addition to the ability to work independently and balance multiple work priorities.
Immediate Supervisor: Audit and Risk Committee of Council
Salary Scale: MGT 05
Interested applicants meeting the above requirement should submit signed application letters, a detailed Curriculum Vitae, ZAQA validated copies of Academic Certificates, certified Professional Certificates and three (03) names of referees, two (02) of whom must be Professionally acquainted with the applicant.
The Copperbelt University
Plot 4692, Jambo Drive, Riverside
P O Box 21692
NOTE: This advert supersedes the earlier advert and only shortlisted applicants will be contacted